SPECIAL ISSUE Kenya Gazette Supplement No.
l5l (Acts Ng.
30) REPUBLIC OF KENYA KENYA PPLEM ENT GAZETTE SU ACTS,201 6 NAIROBI, 7th September, 2016 CONTENT Act- PAGE The Kenya National Examinations Council (Amendment) Act, 20 I6.
61 5 PRINTED AND PUBLISHED BY THE GOVERNMENT PRINTER, NAIROBI t- Il-1[- il 615 THE KENYA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL (AMENDMENT) ACT,20t6 No.
30 of 2016 Date of Assent: 31st August, 2016 Date of Commencement: 2lst September, 2016 AN ACT of Parliament to amend the Kenya National Examinations Council Act.
ENACTED by the Parliament of Keny&, as follows- 1.
This Act may be cited as the Kenya National Short title.
Examinations Council (Amendment) Act, 2016.
2, The Kenya National Examinations Council Act is Insertion of a new section l0A into Cap amended by inserting the following new section 225A'.
immediately after section 10- il:l,tl,::jorbasic 10A.
(1) The Cabinet Secrerary shall, in education.
every academiC ygil, rank inStitutiOnS Of basic education that offer primary education or secondary education based on- (a) academic performance in national examinations; and (b) performance in co-curricular activities.
,rur.!?l13?il::,:'TJ;:: Council shall submit to the Cabinet Secretary, data regarding the academic performance, in national examinatiors, of institutions of basic education that offer primary or secondary education; and (b) every County Director of Education shall submit the data regarding the perfonnance, in co- curricular activities, of institutions of basic education that offer primary or secondary education to the Director-General for transmission to the Cabinet Secretary.
I 616 No.30 Kenya National Examinations Council ( Amendment) 2016 (3) The Cabinet Secretary shall, as soon as practicable after the receipt of the data referred under subsection (2), announce and publish the results and ranks of institutions as prescribed in subsection (1).
(4) The Cabinet Secretary may make rules for the purpose of ranking of institutions of basic education that offer primary or secondary education.
(5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) the Cabinet Secretary may provide for- (a) the form and method of categortzatron of institutions of basic education that offer primary or secondary education for ranking purposes; (b) the announcement and publication, of the resuits in aational examinations and co-curricular activities, of institutions of basic education that offer primary or secondary education and their ranking; (c) the criteria to be used in ranking; (d) submission and management of data under subsection (3); and (e) any other matter that requires to be prescribed under this section.
(6) In this section, the words- (a) "County Director of Education"; and (b) "Director General" have the respective meanings assigned to No.
12 of 2Ol3 them under the Basic Education Act;.