LAWS OF KENYA The Civil ConTingenCies Fund ACT Chapter 425 Revised Edition 2009 (1982) Published by the National Council for Law Reporting with the Authority of the Attorney General www.kenyalaw.org 2 [Rev.
425 Civil Contingencies Fund CHAPTER 425 20 of 1961, THE CIVIL CONTINGENCIES FUND ACT L.N.
374/1964, 9 of 1965, 17 of 1972, Commencement: 21st November, 1961 8 of 1996.
An Act of Parliament to make further and better provision for the operation and control of the Civil Contingencies Fund Short title.
This Act may be cited as the Civil Contingencies Fund Act.
Operation of the 2.
(1) The Civil Contingencies Fund (in this Act referred to as the Fund.
Fund) shall continue in operation by virtue of this Act.
(2) Subject to the provisions of this Act, neither the receipts of the Fund nor the balance thereof at the close of each nancial year shall be paid into the Consolidated Fund, but shall be retained in and for the purposes of the Fund.
Purposes of the Fund.
(1) The Fund shall be used for all or any of the following L.N.
purposes (a) to make advances in respect of urgent services in anticipation of the provision made or to be made by Parliament for those services becoming available; (b) to make advances in anticipation of the realization of receipts in connexion with any services for which provision is so made or to be made; (c) to make advances to any Government Ministry or Department for the provision of any necessary working cash balances in connexion with any such services.
(2) Every advance made under this section shall be repaid to the Fund without unnecessary delay.
Capital of the Fund.
(1) The permanent capital of the Fund shall be fty thousand 9 of 1965, s.
17 of 1972, s.
2, 8 of 1996, s.
(2) The Minister may from time to time by order direct that the capital of the Fund, including the permanent capital, shall be increased to such amount, not exceeding in the aggregate one hundred million pounds, as he may deem necessary for fullling any of the purposes specied in section 3, and thereupon, during the continuation in force Rev.
2009] 3 Civil Contingencies Fund CAP.
425 of such order, the Treasury may issue out of the Consolidated Fund such sums as may from time to time be required for the purpose of increasing temporarily the capital of the Fund within the limit prescribed by the order.
(3) All sums issued out of the Consolidated Fund under the provisions of subsection (2) shall be repaid to the Consolidated Fund at such times and in such manner as the Treasury may direct, and in any case not later than the date on which the order directing the increase in the capital of the Fund ceases to have effect.
Within four months after the end of each nancial year the Annual accounts.
ofcer administering the Fund shall prepare, sign and transmit to the Controller and Auditor-General an account of the Fund in respect of the preceding nancial year, in such form as the Treasury may from time to time direct.
425 Civil Contingencies Fund [Rev.
2009 [Subsidiary] SUBSIDIARY LEGISLATION Orders under section 4 (2) Orders increasing the capital of the Fund are made from time to time.
They are not reproduced here as they are of temporary effect.