IAN SPECIAL ISSUE Kenya Gazette Supplement No.
156 (Acts No.
15) REPUBLIC OF KENYA KENYA GAZETTE SUPPLEMENT ACTS, 2015 NAIROBI, 15th September, 2015 CONTENT Act PAGE The Business Registration Service Act, 2015.
221 MhOAL 000kiL fOk LAW REPORTING RECEIVED 01 OCT 2015 Por, 10.443,1099 PRINTED AND PUBLISHED BY THE GOVERNMENT PRINTER, NAIROBI 221 THE BUSINESS REGISTRATION SERVICE ACT No.
15 of 2015 Date of Assent: II th September, 2015 Date of Commencement: By Notice ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS Section PART IPRELIMINARY I Short title and commencement.
PART 11 ESTABLISHMENT, OBJECTS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE SERVICE 3 Establishment of the Service.
4Functions of the Service.
PART HIADMINISTRATION 5 The Board of the Service.
6 Tenure of members of the Board.
7 Functions of the Board.
8 Powers of the Board.
9Meetings of the Board.
10Remuneration of members of the Board.
II Delegation by the Board.
12Vacancy not to affect proceedings.
13 Committees of the Board.
14Engagement of experts and consultants.
15 Protection from personal liability.
16 Liability of the Board for damages.
PART IVMANAGEMENT AND STAFF OF THE SERVICE 17 Registrar-General.
18 Appointment of Registrar-General.
15 Business Registration Service 2015 19 Removal of Registrar-General.
20 Appointment of staff.
21 Delegation powers of Registrar-General.
PART VFINANCIAL PROVISIONS 22The common seal of the Board.
23Funds of the Service.
25 Annual estimates.
26Accounts and audit.
27 Investment of funds.
PART VI MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS 28 Annual report.
31 Transfer of staff.
32Transfer.of assets and liabilities.
33Pending proceedings and claims.
SCHEDULETHE CONDUCT OF BUSINESS AND AFFAIRS OF THE BOARD 223 Business Registration Service 2015 No.
15 THE BUSINESS REGISTRATION SERVICE ACT, 2015 AN ACT of' Parliament to establish the Business Registration Service to ensure effective administration of the laws relating to the incorporation, registration, operation and management of companies, partnerships and firms, and for connected purposes ENACTED by the Parliament of Kenya as follows PART IPRELIMINARY 1.This Act may be cited as the Business Registration Short title and commencement.
Service Act, 2015 and shall come inw operation on- such date as the Cabinet Secretary may, by notice in the Gazette, appoint.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise reqpires^.
Board" means the Board of Directors established by section 5; "Cabinet Secretary" means the Attomey-General;.
"chairperson" means the chairperson of the Board appointed under section 5; member" means a member of the Board appointed under section 5;, 66 "Service" means the Busines& Registration Service established under section 3,- and "Registrar-General" means the Registrar-General appointed, under section 17.
PART H ESTABLISHMENT, OBJECTS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE SERVICE Istallishment of the 3.(1) There is established the, Business Registration Service.
Service, (2)^ The, Service shall be a body corporate with.
mon seal' and shall in its perpetual succession and a com corporate na me be capable of.
(a), suing and being sued,; (b) purchasing.
or otherwise acquiring, holding, charging and disposing.
of movable and immovable property; 224 No.
15 Business Registration Service 2015 (c) borrowing money; and (d) doing or performing all such other things or acts as may be necessary for the proper performance of its functions under this Act, which may lawfully be done by a body corporate.
(3) The headquarters of the Service shall be in the capital city but the Service shall.
establish branches in every County in Kenya to ensure reasonable access of its services.
(1) The Service shall, under the general supervision Functions of the of the Cabinet Secretary, be responsible for the Se,vice.
implementation of policies, laws and other matters relating to the registration of companies, partnerships and firms, individuals and corporations carrying on business under a business name, bankruptcy, societies, hire purchase, trade unions, chattels transfers, adoptions, coat of arms, books and newspapers, the National flag, emblems and names.
(2) Notwithstanding the generality of subsection (1), the Service shall- (a) carry out all registrations required under this Act; (b) maintain registers, data and rec ords on registrations carried out by the Service; (c) implement relevant policies and guidelines and provide the Cabinet Secretary with the necessary information to guide the formulation of policy and amendment of existing policy and guidelines; (d) carry out research and disseminate research findings in the fields covered by the relevant laws through seminars, workshops, publications or other means and to recommend to the Government any improvements in the relevant laws; (e) collaborate with other state agencies for the effective discharge of its functions; (f) charge fees for any service performed by the Service; and (g) perform such other functions as may be necessary under this Act.
225 2015 Business Registration Service No.
15 PART HIADMINISTRATION 5.
(1) The Service shall be governed by a board of TheBoardofthe directors.
(2) The Board shall consist of (a) a chairperson; (b) the Solicitor-General or his representative; (c) the Principal Secretary in the Ministry for the time being responsible for matters relating to trade; (d) the Principal Secretary in the National Treasury; (e) four other members; and (f) the Registrar-General who shall be an ex officio member and secretary to the Board.
(3) The chairperson and the members of the Board referred to in subsection (2) (e) shall be appointed by the Cabinet Secretary from among persons who have knowledge and proven experience in matters relating to this Act.
(1) The chairperson and a member appointed under Tenure of riembers section 5(2)(e) shall hold office of the Board.
(a) for a term of three years but shall be eligible for re-appointment for one further term; and (b) on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Cabinet Secretary.
(2) The office of the chairperson or a member shall' become vacant if the holder- (a) dies; (b) is absent from three consecutive meetings of the Board without reasonable cause; (c) resigns from office by notice in writing addressed to the Cabinet Secretary; (d) is unable to perform the functions of the office arising out of physical or mental infirmity; (e) is negligent or incompetent in the performance of his or her functions; (f) is adjudged or otherwise declared bankrupt under any law in force in Kenya; 226 - No.
15 Business Registration Service .20,15 , (g) violates %Chapter Six of the,Constitution;or h) is convicted of a -criminal offence and sentenced to .,(.
imprisonment 'for a term -of not less than six , months.
The Board shall- 'Functions of-the Board.
(a) formulatearid Teviewthe policies of the'Service; -(b) ensure --that -the Service perfornis its-functions; ,(c) monitor and evaluate the performance 4 the Service; i(d) appoint, train, disciplineand remove members of staff of the Service; (e)establish departments within the Service and allocate responsibilities to such -departments; and (f)perform such ,other functions -as prescribed by this Actor any,other written law.
S.The Board shall have all powers necessary forthe Powers oftbe Board.
proper performance of its functions underlhis Act and in particular, but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing,the Boardshall have power to- ka) control, supervise and ad minister the,assetsof the Service in such manner as best promotes the functions for which the Service is established; I (b) determine the prov isions to be made for ,capital and recurrent expenditure and for reserves ,of the Board; ^,c) receive any grants, gifts, donations or endowments and make legitimate disbursements therefrom; enter into association with such -other bodies or organizations withinor outside Kenya as it may ;consider desirable or appropriate and in furtherance of the functions for which the - Service is established; (e)open a banking account or banking accounts for thefunds ofthe Service; and invest -any of its funds not imm ediately requiredfor (f) its functions in the mannerprovided in section',27.
t 227 2015 1 Business Registration Service No.
(1) The Board shall conduct its business and affairs Meetings of the in accordance with the Schedule.
(2) Except as provided in the Schedule, the Board may regulate its own procedure.
(3) The Board may co-opt any person to attend any of it meetings but that person shall not vote at such meeting.
The chairperson, members of the Board and staff Remuneration of of the Service shall be paid such remuneration or members of the allowances as the Cabinet -Secretary may, in consultation Board.
with the Salaries and Remuneration ' Commission, determine.
The Board may, by resolution either generally or Delegation by the in any particular case, delegate to any committee of the Board.
Board or to any member, officer, employee oragent of the Board, the exercise of any of the powers or the performance of any of the functions or duties of the Board under this Act or under any other written law.
The validity of any proceedings of the Board shall Vacancy -1 to not be affected by any vacancy among its members or by affect,proccedi.9s.
any defect in the appointment of any member or by the fact that a person who was not entitled to do so took part in the proceedings of the Board 13.
(1) The Board may establish such committees as it committees of the shall consider necessary for the efficient performance of its Board' functions under this Act.
(2) The Board may co-opt into the membership of a committee established under subsection (1), any person whose knowledge and skills are considered necessary for the effective dischargeof the functions of the Board.
(1) The Board ma , on the advice of the Registrar- Engagement of y experts and General engage the service of experts and consultants in consultants.
respect of any of the functions of the Service.
(2) An expert or consultant engaged under this section may be paid such fees and allowances as the Board may determine.
No matter or thin ;done ba member of the Board protection from 9y Personalliability- or any officer, employee or agent of the Board shall, if the matter -or thing is done bona fide for executing the functions, powers or duties of the Board, render the ' 228 No.
15 Business Registration Service 2015 member, officer, employee or agent or any person acting on his directions personally liable to any action, claim or demand.
The provisions of section 15 shall not relieve the Liability of the Board of the liability to pay compensation or damages to Board for damages.
any person for an injury to him, his property or any of his interests caused by the exercise of the powers conferred on the Board by this Act or by any other written law or by the failure, whether wholly or partially, of any works.
PART IV MANAGEMENT AND STAFF OF THE ,SERVICE 17.
The Cabinet Secretary shall appoint a Registrar_ Registrar-General.
General on the recommendation of the Board and on the terms and conditions specified in the instrument of appointment.
(1) A person is qualified for appointment as the Appointment of Registrar-General if the person- Registrar-General.
(a) is qualified as an advocate of the High Court of Kenya; (b) has at least ten years' experience in public affairs and management; and (c) meets the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
(2) The Board shall, through an open, transparent and competitive process, appoint a suitably qualified person to be the Registrar- General.
(3) The Registrar-General shall hold office for a term of four years and shall be eligible for re-appointment for one further term.
(4) The Registrar-General shall, in the performance of the functions and duties of office, be responsible to the Board.
(5) The Registrar-General shall be , (a) the chief executive officer of the Service; (b) the accounting officer of the Service; (c) responsible for the- (i) implementation of the decisions of the Board; 229 2015 Business Registration Service No.
15 (ii) formulation and development of an efficient administration; (iii) organisation, control and management of the members of staff of the Service; - (iv) day-to-day administration and management of the affairs of the Service; and (v) performance of such other duties as may be assigned by the Board.
(1) The Registrar-General may be removed from Removal of Registrar-General.
office by the Board for- (a) inability to perform the functions of the office arising out of physical or mental infirmity; (b) gross misconduct; (c) incompetence or negligence of duty; or (d) violation of the Constitution.
(2) The Board shall, before removing the Registrar- General under subsection (I).
(a) inform the Registrar-General in writing of the reasons for the intended removal; and (b) give the Registrar-General an opportunity to be heard in accordance with the principle of fair administrative action prescribed under Article 47 of the Constitution.
(1) The Service may appoint such Registrars and Appointment of other staff as may be necessary for the proper discharge of staff.
its functions under this Act, on such terms and conditions of service as the Board may determine.
(2) The Public Service Commission may, on the request of the Board, second to the Service such number of public officers as may be necessary for the performance of the functions of the Service.
(3) A public officer who is seconded to the Service shall, during the period of secondment, be deemed to be an officer of the Service and shall be subject only to the direction and control of the Board.
The Registrar-General may, with the approval of Delegation powers of Registrar- the Board, delegate in writing any of his or her functions General.
I under this Act or any other written law to any other officer 230.
15 Business Registration Service 2015 or member of staff on the terms specified.
in the instrument of delegation.
(1) The Common sealof the Board shall be kept in The common sea) of such custody as the Bo the Board.
- ard shall direct and shall not be used except on the order of the Board.
The affixing of the common seal shall be authenticated by the chairperson or any , other person authorized in that behalf by a resolution of the Board.
(3) The common seal of the Board when affixed to a document and duly authenticated shall be judicially and officially noticed and unless the contrary is proved, any necessary order or authorization of the Board under this section shall be presumed to have been duly given.
PART VFINANCIAL PROVISIONS 23.
The funds of the Service shall consist of Funds of the (a) money allocated by Parliament for the purposes of Service.
the Service; (b)such money or assets as may accrue to the Service in the course of the exercise of its powers or the discharge of its functions under this Act; (c) such grants, donations or endowment received by the Board on behalf of the Service; and (d) such funds as may vest in or accrue to the Service from any other source authorised by law.
The financial year of the Service shall be the Financial year.
period of twelve months commencing on the first of July and ending on the thirtieth of June of the subsequent year.
(1), At least three months before the Annual estimates.
commencement of each financial year, the Board shall cause to be prepared estimates of the revenue and expenditure of the Service for that year.
(2) The annual estimates shall provide for all the estimated expenditure of the Service for the financial year concerned and in particular, shall provide for the (a) payment of remuneration in respect of the members and staff of the Service; (b) paymentof pensions, gratuities and other charges in respect of benefits which are payable to the staff of the Service; 231 2015 Business Registration Service No.
15 maintenance of buildings and grounds of the (c) Service; (d)maintenance, repair and replacementof equipment andother property of the Service; .(e) funding of training, research and development :activities of the Service; (f) creation of such funds to meet future or contingent liabilities in respect of benefits, insurance or replacement of buildings or installations, equipment and in respect of such other matters asthe Board may thinkfit; and any other expenditure necessary for purposes of (g) this Act.
;(3) The annual estimates shall be approved by the Board before the commencement of the financial year to which they relate and shall be subrnitted to the Cabinet Secretary for approval and after the Cabinet Secretary's approval, the Boardshall not increase the annual estimates without the consent of the CabinetSecretary.
(4) No expenditure shall be incurred for purposes of the Service except in accordance with the annual estimates approved under subsection ^(3).
26.(1) The Board shall cause to be kept all proper Accounts and audit.
books and recordsof accountof the income, expenditure, assets and liabilities of the Service.
(2) The annual accounts of the Service shall be prepared, audited and reported upon in accordance with the Act 12 of 2o03.
Public Audit Act.
(1) The Board may invest any of its funds in Investment of funds.
securities in which, for the time being, trustees may by law invest trust funds, or in any other securities that the National Treasury may, from time to time, approve for that purpose.
,(2) The Board may place on deposit with such ban, k or banks as it may determine, any money not immediately required for the purposes of the Board.
15 Business Registration Service 2015 PART VI MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS 28.
(1) The Board shall prepare an annual report for Annual report.
each financial year.
(2) The Board shall submit the annual report to the Cabinet SecreuT.y.-for onward transmission to the National Assembly three months after the end of the year to which it relates.
(3) The annual report shall contain, in respect of the year to which it relates- (a) the financial statements of the Service; (b) a description of the activities of the Service; (c) such other statistical information as the Board may consider appropriate relating to the functions of the Service; (d) the impact of the exercise of the mandate or functi6-As of the Service; (e) the progress and the welfare of the members of the Service, including matters relating to h ousing, insurance, safety equipment and the conditions of service; (f) the gender, regional and ethnic diversity in the Service; and (g) any other information relating to the functions of the Service that the Board considers necessary.
(4) The Board shall publish the annual report and shall publicize the report in such manner as the Board may determine.
(1) A person shall not Offences.
(a) obstruct, hinder or threaten a member of staff- of the Service acting under thi s Act; (b) knowingly submit false or misleading information to the Service; or (c) knowingly misrepresent anything to mislead a person acting under the Authority of the Service under this Act.
(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence and is on conviction liable to a fine not exceeding five hundred thousand shillin gs or to 233 2015 Business Registration Service No.
15 imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years or to both.
The Cabinet Secretary may make regulations Regulations.
generally for the better carrying into effect of the provisions of this Act.
The staff of the Department of the Registrar- Transfer of staff.
General employed by the Government immediately before the commencement of this Act, shall be the staff of the Service.
All property, except such property as the Cabinet Transfer of assets Secretary may specify in writing, which, immediately and liabilities.
before the commencement of this Act, was vested in the Government for the use of the Department of the Registrar- General for the purposes of giving effect to the relevant laws, shall, on the date of commencement of this Act, vest in the Service subject to all interests, liabilities, charges, obligations and trusts affecting that property.
All legal proceedings and claims pending in Pending proceedings respect of actions and activities to which the relevant laws and claims.
apply shall be continued or enforced by or against the Service in the same manner as they would have been continued or enforced by or against the Government had this Act not been enacted.
234 15 Business Registration Service 2015 No.
SCHEDULE (s.9) THE CONDUCT OF BUSINESS AND AFFAIRS OF THEBOARD 1.
(1) The Board shall meet as often as may be Meetings of necessary for the dispatch of its business but there shall be Board.
at least four meetings of the Board in any financial year.
(2)A meeting of the Board shall be held on such date and at such time and place as the Board may determine.
The chairperson shall, on the written application of (3) one-third of the members, convene a special meeting of the Board.
Unless three quarters of the total members of the (4) Board otherwise agree, at least fourteen days' written notice of every meeting of the Board shall be given to every member of the Board.
(5)The quorum for the conduct of business at a meeting of the Board shall be any five members excluding ex-officio members of the Board.
The chairperson shall preside at every meeting of (6) the Board at which he or she is present and in the absence of the chairperson at a meeting, the vice-chairperson, shall preside and in the absence of both the chairperson and the vice-chairperson, the members present shall elect one of their number who shall, with respect to that meeting and the business transacted thereat, have all the powers of the, Chairperson.
Unless a unanimous decision is reached, a decision (7) on any matter before the Board shall be by a majority of the votes of the membek^, present and voting at the meeting and in the case of an eqbality of votes, the chairperson or the person presiding shali have a second or casting vote.
(8)Subject to paragraph 5, no proceedings of the Board shall be invalid by reason only of a vacancy among.
the members thereof.
Unless otherwise provided by or under any law,.
all (9) instruments, made by and decisions of the Board shall be signified under.
the hand of the chairperson.
1 (10) Subject to this Schedule, the Board may determine its own, procedure and the procedure for any 235 2015 Business Registration Service No.
15 committee of the Board and for the attendance of other persons at its meetings and may make rules in respect thereof.
(1) If a member is directly or indirectly interested in Disclosure of any contract, proposed contract or other matter before the interest.
Board and is present at a meeting of the Board at which the contract, proposed contract or other matter is the subject of consideration, that person shall, at the meeting and as soon as reasonably practicable after the commencement thereof, disclose the fact and shall not take part in the consideration or discussion of, or vote on, any questions with respect to the contract or other matter, or be counted in the quorum of the meeting during consideration of the matter.
(2) A disclosure of interest made under this paragraph shall be recorded in the minutes of the meeting at which it is made.
Any contract or instrument which, if entered into or Contracts.
executed by a person not being a body corporate, would not require to be under seal, may be entered into or executed on behalf of the Board by any person generally or specially authorised by the Board for that purpose.